Employment Connections Program
Our Employment Connections Programs (ECP) services all of North Halton (Acton, Milton and Georgetown) and South Halton (Oakville and Burlington). We have offices in Acton, Milton and Oakville and can meet in the community in all other areas.
ECP is a community based program aimed at providing individuals facing mental health issues with a range of services to address their employment goals. We are the only Halton based organization whose primary purpose is to serve the employment needs of this population. For the past 30 plus years we have provided training and support to clients of the mental health system with the intent of improving their employability and work readiness.
STRIDE is an Ontario Disability Support Program – Employment Supports Service Provider for the Halton and Peel Regions. This means that individuals residing in these two Regions who are referred by the Ontario Disability Support Program – Employment Supports Program to the STRIDE Employment Program receive up to three years of service as they prepare for, obtain and retain paid employment. We are able to provide services in French.
Clients are offered a wide range of specialized services. STRIDE’s Employment Connections program offers a variety of job readiness services to individuals who are dealing with mental health issues and are ready to either develop their careers in new areas or to return to a field in which they have had previous experience.
STRIDE’s mandate is to serve clients who:
- Have a mental health and/or addiction issue
- Are in need of assistance to overcome employment barriers to gain and maintain meaningful employment
- Are 16 years of age or more
- Are a permanent resident of Ontario
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada
Clients need to demonstrate:
- They have the ability to set and work towards achievement of employment preparation activities and employment goals
- A desire to find employment in the community
- A desire to decrease social assistance dependency
- A willingness to be involved in the STRIDE Employment Services
Individuals can connect with the Employment Connection Program in a number of ways:
- Individuals can refer themselves by filling out a Referral Form
- Individuals can also be referred by supports such as their family, doctors, mental health clinic, and community agencies by completing a Referral Form
- Once a referral is received, a brief phone consultation will occur
- A STRIDE staff will call to set up an Intake appointment.
- Employment Planning
- Job Development Planning
- Preparation for competitive employment
- Skills Training
- Workplace Assessments
- Travel Training
- Community Supports Coordination
- Job Placement
- Job Monitoring
- Job Coaching
- Job Maintenance
- Job Retention Support
STRIDE over the years has successfully supported clients to pursue many different types of job placements in competitive employment (e.g. retail trade, food services, office/clerical, cleaning, landscape, transportation, warehousing, education, health care, volunteer and general labour).
STRIDE’s Employment Connections Program has assisted many individuals in finding and sustaining meaningful employment opportunities, and as a result, experiencing the many significant benefits that stem from the world of work. Employment promotes recovery for the clients by enhancing their roles, increasing self-esteem, sense of purpose, self-empowerment, and fulfillment in life by contributing to society.
If you have any questions or would like to meet to further discuss the many services we offer, please do not hesitate to contact us.