YEP…..We can help!
Our Youth Employment Program (YEP) provides an outreach service in all of North Halton (Acton, Georgetown and Milton) and South Halton (Oakville and Burlington). We have offices in Georgetown, Milton and Oakville.
YEP is working towards the following goals:
- To provide a community-based client centred program that responds to the varied employment needs of Transitional Aged Youth, 16 to 24 years, who are experiencing mental health and/or substance issues
- To provide an outreach service which is responsive to the current needs of youth, accessing those who are not traditionally seeking services
- To provide a youth-oriented service that will assist youth in developing the skills they need to become contributing members of their communities leading to improved mental well-being and to lead healthier lives
YEP is open to:
- Youth between the ages of 16 to 24 years of age
- Youth experiencing mental health issues and/or substance issues
- Youth who are committed to being active participants in the program
- Youth who are able to set and meet vocational goals and are willing to participate in a variety of employment options that are responsive to their individual needs
- Individuals can refer themselves by filling out a Referral Form and an Additional Client Information Form.
- The forms can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 905-875-9262
- Once a referral is received, a brief phone consultation may occur
- A STRIDE staff will call to set up an intake appointment.
YEP offers a variety of job readiness services to individuals who are experiencing mental health issues and/or substance issues and who are ready to start looking at their employment plans and options. YEP is an approved Ontario Disability Supports Program-Employment Supports service provider.
Services may include:
- Assessment of skills
- Development of individual employment goals
- Supports Coordination, Liaising with School programs as needed
- Employment preparation e.g. resumes, interview practice, vocational life skills
- Job search training
- Job development service which identifies available positions which match the abilities and career desires of individual STRIDE participants
- Negotiation of unpaid trials, wage subsidies
- Job coaching and on the job follow-up for participants who are successful in finding employment
- Assistance with attaining appropriate training/education as needed in relation to employment goals
Youth Employment Specialist will meet youth in their own community at a convenient venue such as school, coffee shop or library. They will work with youth on the employment goals that are important to them and at a pace that meets their needs.